Domestic Violence Webinar
|Dr. Karen Curls Ph.D|
Speaker, Presenter, Moderator, and Researcher
- Metropolitan Community College, Kansas City, Missouri
- Chair of Social Science Division - Emeritus
- Criminal Justice Coordinator and Faculty
- Criminology, American Corrections, Corrections in the Community, Juvenile Delinquency, Sociology of the Black Family, and Family Violence and Sexual Abuse courses.
- The Black Family and the Church
- The Black Family and Catholicism
- Family Violence and Abuse Workshop,
- Anger & Rage: A Study of Traditions and
- Criminal Justice and the Law, Oxford Roundtable, Lincoln College, Oxford, England
|Regina Singleton, B.S, M.S., M.S.W.|
- International Domestic Violence Program Ambassador, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated
- Private Practice: Transitions Counseling Services – Retired
- New Beginnings Counseling Associate
- Advice & Aid Pregnancy Center
- 45 years’ experience in providing:
- Domestic Violence Victim Services for Women (Individual and Group)
- Domestic Violence Perpetrator Services (Certified Batterers Intervention Program (BIP) by the State of Kansas, Individual, Family, Couples)
- Safe Kids Parenting Program (for parents involved in the court for DV and Child Welfare and Divorce cases where family violence existed)
- Mental Health and Behavioral Health Counseling (children and adults)
- Anger Management Counseling (Group and Individual)
- Assessments: Domestic Violence Assessments, Mental Health Assessments, Parenting Assessments, Anger Assessments
|Melissa Ferrer Civil, B.A., M.A.|
Rooted in the practical and the possible, she lives in Kansas City but her home is in the Spirit. Her spoken word poems and songs are mostly meditations and responses to the world around her and her own internal journey. Through writing, performance, space holding, education and workshop facilitation she seeks to provide a sense of solidarity among all people, encourage people to act unto peace and love, and foster community among both the like and unlike minded. Recently, she’s been yearning to set down her ego and replace it with a jubilation of the spirit. She wants you to join in, in whatever capacity you can!
Melissa received a Bachelor’s Degree in both Creative Writing and Italian from The Florida State University. She also holds a Masters of Education with a specialization in Urban Education from Park University. Competed at the 2018 National Poetry Slam, 2019 Rustbelt Regional Slam, and has won countless other slams in different parts of the country. Her debut chapbook is titled Birthing Pains. She currently facilitates workshops and teaches school.
| Betti Givens, B.A.|
An alumnus of Lincoln University, a historically black college in Jefferson City, MO. She is passionate and driven about bettering the lives of others. She is a creative spirit with an unmatched passion for service to young people. Betti has worked in non-profit organizations with an emphasis on family and youth development and serves on the Board of Directors for HBCU Walking Billboard. She is the Student Success Coordinator at Inner City Services, St. Marks and previously was the Coordinator of Student Programs at 20/20 Leadership.
Betti’s professional expertise in developing training programs related to, Juvenile Delinquency and Risk Factors, Family Court Programs and Services and Community Resource Connections, Behavioral Intervention, Bullying and Problem Solving Prevention. She excels in programming focused on character development, life skill development, education readiness, effective communication, and relationship building.
She is a published author, her first book “Broken Not Bitter” was followed by “Broken Not Bitter 2.0” along with a Self- Discovery workbook titled “21 Days to A Happier Life”. Betti is also a phenomenal crafter, and dedicated baseball mom.
KNIGHTS OF PETER CLAVER AND LADIES AUXILIARY
National Social Justice Initiative Committee
- Domestic Violence Sub Committee -
Knight Corey Jeanlouis, Council 195,Co- Chair
Lady Ramonda Doakes, Court 57, Co-Chair
Lady Lola Loud, Court 400
Lady Alma Stewart, Court 224
Lady Gail Barnes Johnson, Court 59
Lady Funmilayo Smallwood, Court 325
Lady Joyce McBee, Court 301
Knight Alexander Taylor, Council
Lady Marion Smith Reynoso, Court 277
Knight William Thompson, Council 188
Lady Sharon Shanks, Court 213